Here is an update on progress so far.
We took a month-long trip to New Zealand in spring of 2014. We started in Auckland where Jo was teaching. I did day trips north, west east and south. Then to Golden Bay for five days. Then a road trip around the South Island with proper stays at the Otago Peninsula, Stewart Island and Fox Glacier. Hopped from Nelson to Auckland and flew home.
Sections so far:
- Sponsors - to Jo
- Time Machine - getting there - 1 page
- Golden Bay - at the NW tip of South Island - 12 pages
- Nelson To Dunedin via Authur's Pass - 3 pages
- Otago Peninsula - the glories of - 7 pages
- Clutha/Mata-Au River - New Zealand's biggest - dams, hydro, flood, controversy - from the Southern Alps to the Pacific - 1 page
- Mountain and Glaciers - the Fox, geomorphology, plant colonisers, people, Hokitika etc - 6 pages
- Stewart Island - Ulva Island, searchng for penguins and shearwaters - 2 pages so far
- Temperate Rain Forest - West coast, Ulva, Stewart Island, Milford, Kahikatea - 5 pages
- New Zealand Trees - podocarps, hardwoods, tree ferns etc - 6 pages so far
- New Zealand Mammals and Birds - seals, sea lions, albatross, kaka etc - 8 pages and counting
- Maori - historical perspectives from the Ngai Tahu of South Island and five Maori painters - 8 pages
- Goldrushes - engine of development - Otago, West Coast, Hokitika - 4 pages
- Geology - Alpine Fault, tectonics, earthquakes - 1 pages
- Climate Maps - 1 page
- Fergusons Farms - the settler inside of me - 1 page
There is much more to come three months into the process. All the North Island Auckland travels, agriculture, etc. Stay tuned.